Deadly Chemicals Promoted for Our Pets
I've never been shy about speaking out against the deadly chemicals touted as "safe" for our pets. Unfortunately, many veterinarians are unaware of the potential side effects and dangers lurking in the pills and topical products being sold to their patients.
A new topical product has just been approved by the FDA for use in cats in the United States which combines two (in my opinion) very dangerous chemicals: fluralaner and moxidectin. Potential side effects for each chemical are listed below:
- excessive thirst
- internal bleeding
- hair loss
- ulcerated lesions
- neurologic disorders
- liver failure
- kidney failure
The number of side effects reported to the international authorities is among the highest of all flea and tick preventatives. Approximately 1% of adverse reactions are reported, meaning there are hundreds of thousands of unreported cases.
There is no antidote for fluralaner toxicity.
Cats must weigh 2.6 pounds or more and be older than six months, according to package directions.
Package warnings include:
Not for human use. Keep this and all drugs out of the reach of children.
Do not contact or allow children to contact the application site until dry.
Keep the product in the original packaging until use in order to prevent children from getting direct access to the product. Do not eat, drink or smoke while handling the product. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. If contact with eyes occurs, then flush eyes slowly and gently with water. Wash hands and contacted skin thoroughly with soap and water immediately after use of the product.
The product is highly flammable. Keep away from heat, sparks, open flame or other sources of ignition.
The product is not supposed to be ingested, however cats groom themselves daily......
This product is also extremely toxic to aquatic animals. Fluralaner is excreted from the body in feces, unchanged. What will happen if there is fecal contamination of our waterways?
- excessive grooming
- application site reactions
- uncoordinated walking
- excessive salivation
- increased drinking
- increased salivation
- decreased appetite
These drugs are neurotoxins which are supposed to be selective against parasites. However, with the long list of side effects it is apparent that many animals will also be affected.
There is no antidote for moxidectin poisoning.
Unbelievably, moxidectin is approved for use in people with certain parasitic infections. The percentage of adverse reactions is staggeringly high.
In order for parasites (fleas, ticks, intestinal parasites) to die, they must feed on the host (cat or dog) and ingest the chemicals that have been used. These products do not repel parasites! If you have never seen fleas or ticks and stool samples have been negative, there is no need to use these products!
I have not used any chemical parasite preventatives on my pets for many years. They remain parasite free. Feeding a species-appropriate diet, supporting a healthy immune system, and providing an active lifestyle will help keep your pets healthy well into their teen years.